Symantec NetBackup 7.0 for UNIX: Administration (NBUS7)
This course is for system administrators, system engineers, technical support personnel, and system integration staff who are responsible for the design, performance optimization, and troubleshooting of NetBackup.
Students must be familiar with the administration and configuration of the platforms that are covered by the course.
This course provides instruction on NetBackup 7.0 and covers how to develop and implement a storage management strategy. At the completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Discuss the challenges of performing backups in today’s enterprises.
- Describe the functions of the master, media, and EMM servers and clients.
- Diagram the NetBackup product architecture.
- Define common terms used in the NetBackup product.
- Describe how NetBackup backs up and restores data.
- Identify NBU options and agents.
- Install and verify NetBackup and OpsCenter.
- Use the NBU Administration Console and OpsCenter.
- Add robots and drives.
- Configure storage units, storage unit groups, volumes, and volume pools.
- Manage volumes.
- Configure policy attributes and schedules.
- Identify the available policy types.
- Define which files, directories, and clients to back up.
- Monitor and troubleshoot backup jobs.
- Restore files and monitor restore jobs.
- Describe how NetBackup selects which media to use.
- Distribute client software.
- Verify, duplicate, expire, and import backup images.
- Back up and recover NBU catalogs.
- Run basic NetBackup and OpsCenter reports.
- Configure multiple data streams, multiplexing, synthetic backups, true image restores, and checkpoint restart.
- Configure NetBackup to protect supported VMware and Hyper-V virtual clients.
- Configure media groups and media ownership for media sharing.
- Configure and manage disk pools.
- Configure advanced staging using storage lifecycle policies.
- Identify master server, EMM, media server, and client processes or services.
- Identify the resources available for troubleshooting NetBackup.
This Symantec NetBackup 7.0 Administration course provides the IT professional with instruction on the functionality of Symantec NetBackup 7.0 software. This course covers the general principles of using NetBackup to develop and implement a storage management strategy, including how to:
- Install, configure, and operate NetBackup 7.0.
- Manage NetBackup using the graphical interfaces, commands, and scripts.
- Provide service protection and recovery.
- Use the activity monitor and logs to monitor NetBackup processes.
- The challenges of enterprise backup
- The NetBackup environment
- NetBackup concepts
- NetBackup options and agents
Installing and Configuring NetBackup
- Preinstallation considerations
- Installing and verifying your NetBackup installation
- Installing NetBackup clients
- Configuring NetBackup
- Upgrade considerations
- NetBackup installation tips
Introduction to NetBackup Administrative Interfaces
- The NetBackup Administration Console
- The command-line interface (CLI)
- NetBackup OpsCenter
Configuring Tape Devices
- Shared tape drives
- Adding robots
- Adding tape drives
- Monitoring shared tape drives
- Monitoring and maintaining devices
- Devices tips
Configuring Storage Units
- Storage units
- Configuring storage units
- Storage unit tips
- Configuring volume pools
- Configuring volumes
- Managing physical volumes
- Volume tips
- Creating and configuring policy attributes
- Creating a policy schedule
- Adding clients to a policy
- Creating backup selections
- Backup policy tips
Performing Backups and Restores
- Performing manual backup operations
- Performing restore operations
- Backup and restore tips
- NetBackup media states and selection criteria
- Determining media status
- Configuring media sharing
- Maximizing tape utilization
- Media-related tips
Getting Started with NetBackup Reporting
- Reporting using the NetBackup Administration Console
- Reporting using OpsCenter
- OpsCenter Analytics
Administrative Tasks and Challenges
- Distributing client software
- Managing backup images
- Backup copies and duplication
- Managing busy files
- Managing job priorities
- Managing user authentication and authorization
Performing Catalog Backups and Restores
- NetBackup catalogs
- Catalog backups
- Manual catalog backup configuration
- Disaster recovery
- Catalog-related tips
Customizing Backup Policies
- Using multiple data streams
- Multiplexing backup images
- Specialized backup solutions
- Protecting virtual clients
- Additional policy options
Using Disk Pools
- Introduction to disk features
- Pooling disk resources
- Configuring disk pools
- Managing disk pools
NBU Media Server Deduplication
- Introduction to deduplication
- Verifying the NetBackup media server deduplication installation
- Configuring NetBackup media server deduplication
- Monitoring deduplication
- Configuring client-side deduplication
Using Storage Lifecycles
- Introduction to storage lifecycles
- Satisfying storage lifecycle prerequisites
- Creating a storage lifecycle policy
- Additional storage lifecycle considerations
- A storage lifecycle example
Working with Support
- Support resources
- NetBackup processes, services, and daemons
- Enabling debug logs
Currently there are no training dates scheduled for this course. Training date request